Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ameri-gium???


I haven't blogged in a while because I have been at my sister's house a majority of the time. A part of me feels like I haven't really been in Europe these past few weeks. I have been eating the regular stuff I eat at home and have been around and speaking English. We have been on a few outings but one of the places I've been to most is the base. There are two of them that I have gone to; one is only American and the other is a NATO military base. On the Fourth of July the NATO base had a mini-carnival celebration for the American soldiers and families. They had a few live bands playing (this one was jazz/blues) and different food booths which had choices ranging from regular ole BBQ to the "Walking Taco" (a snack-sized bag of Doritos with ground beef, cheese and lettuce inside). They also had treats familiar to Belgium like Doner Kabobs and waffles with whipped cream.

For the kiddies, they had games and rides like bumper cars and live ponies. Grammy (aka my mom) rode the cars with Antonio but the poor guy got hurt :(.
I have also gone to church with the family which is perhaps my most Ameri-gium experience. You see, the church pastor is an American who either used to be in the military or is still in the military. I would say about half of the congregation are American military and the other half are Belgian. Some of the Belgians speak English but some of them speak mainly French so for the services they have translators. Imagine, the pastor is preaching and every sentence must pause and wait for it to be translated! It was actually pretty cool and I imagine a good way to pick up some French.
I'm excited to get to see more of Belgium but for now I'm content with chillin with my nephews around the crib and preparing for the rest of my adventures! A part is me is a little nervous about my journey now that I'm here and its all becoming so real but I know this will be an experience of a lifetime!

3 comments:

  1. NOT THE BANG POP ALMOST BLEW MY FINGER OFF I'M USED TO BUT COOL NON THE LESS. Never read a blog before but I dig it you've been favorited. Safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome April, enjoy your time with the fam & I am enjoying your blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an inspiration April. Thank you for sharing yourself with us. I appreciate the way you express yourself.
    Although I've done other blogs yours has ignited me to do a specific one for my upcoming trip. http://benelux-france2010.blogspot.com
    Thanks for following me! Love ya and see you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete