Saturday, September 11, 2010

My New Favorite Aunt...

This is my new favorite aunt...aka my grandmother's oldest sister
Monique


My uncle and I left Les Arc in the afternoon and due to some train delays, we arrived in Evreux later that night (I think around 10ish). My poor aunt was worried about us because she didnt know that our train was late so she had been at the train station and had seen 2 or 3 trains coming from the direction we were go by. Anyway, once we arrived, she greeted us at the train station wearing the coolest outfit ever! She had on a pair of pants that looked like they were skittles print and a bright colored top (i think it was lime green but im not sure). Right away I couldnt help but think "how cute is she!" When we got back to her cozy abode we had a quick meal together and got to chat a little (well I did more of the listening because I don't speak French) and then went to bed.

(this is a pic of my 82yr old aunt's flower flip flops)


Even though I speak no French and my aunt speaks no English, we had a connection almost immediately. Her mannerisms and life are so much like the image I have of how a grandmother should be. She is concerned (a little bit too much at times) about people and about making sure everything is ok. She says what's on her mind and doesn't hold back. And she is just unapologitically herself. She's kinda like the woman I want to be in 60 years! Anyway, while we were staying with her we got to meet one of her friends, Julian who spoke English and with whom we spent two of the days with. Julian was very sweet and it was a pleasure to hang out with everyone and enjoy Evreux.


After spending 3 days there, we went to another town in the Normandy region, called Le Havre where my cousin Fabienne lives. We took the train to this place called Deauville (I think) which is this really nice/wealthy area with amazing buildings and top of the line shopping! Too bad I'm not on Louis Vuitton's level or I would have been in heaven!! Anyway, as we drove to Le Havre, we were going along the coast some of the way so the view was spectacular! On the way we stopped at my uncle's favorite place called Honfleur which is a really funky artsy harbor town with great shopping!


We finally made our way to my cousin's house had lunch followed by a siesta :)...and then some pictures hahahahah.
While we were in Le Havre, where my cousin lives with her husband, Louis, we had plenty of adventures, including going to a really beautiful park and going to this rocky-cliff place on the coast. It was really windy but the view was well worth any weather conditions. I loved being back on a coast of some kind...the smell of the salty water, the sea breeze, the sound of the waves...good times.
This is kind of a funny shot...everyone is gesturing differently and I assume trying to explain something to one another.
Fabienne and Louis were phenominal hosts and were very helpful to me and my uncle. We had a really nice time there and I got to meet two of her daughters, Rachel and Anna. It was good to finally meet people closer to my age!! Anyway, learning about another branch in my family tree was awesome and I'm so glad to have come here!

No comments:

Post a Comment